Mobile Broadband Setup Guide
Mobile Broadband accesses the mobile network using a SIM card. These SIM cards can be inserted in to a USB modem to gain access to the network. There are many types of Mobile Broadband Modem like USB stick or dongle, Mi-Fi modem, inbuilt modem, phone as modem etc. Setting up these devices might differ from one another, however all the modems access the network in a similar way.
How to setup a USB Dongle?
USB dongles are available as either USB stick or modem with USB cable. Either of these USB modems will have a slot to insert a 3G SIM card.
- Insert the SIM card in to the USB modem.
- Connect the modem directly into the USB port of the computer or using a USB cable. USB cables can help to receive better signal strength.
- The USB modem does not require any manual software installation; instead the connection manager software is installed automatically.
- Follow the on screen instruction to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is completed the device is ready to use.
- The connection manager can be used to view the signal strength, connection status and download speed of the connection.
How to setup a Built in 3G modem?
Many service providers offer a Notebook computer with built in 3G modems. These notebook computers are featured with a SIM card slot that can be found either in the side or bottom of the notebooks.
- Insert the SIM card into the SIM card slot and start the computer.
- Insert the connection manager software installation CD and begin auto-installation.
- Once the installation is completed the SIM card will be available to access the Internet.
- Since it is a built in modem, the drivers for the modem will be available within the operating system.
How to setup a Mi-Fi router?
3G Mi-Fi routers are used to gain mobile broadband access to multiple computers at the same time. These routers are independent of any power supply and works using a lithium battery.
- Insert the SIM card into the SIM card slot of the Mi-Fi device.
- Insert the battery and then close the back cover.
- Charge the device at least for 12 hours before using it for the first time.
- Switch on the device by pressing the power button.
- Now press the Wi-Fi button to enable Wi-Fi access.
- Now press the Internet button to gain access to the Internet.
- Start the computer and open network connections.
- Make sure if the wireless card in the computer is enabled.
- Under the list of wireless devices identify if the Mi-Fi modem is listed.
- Select the modem and click connect.
How to setup a Mobile Broadband wireless Router?
Users who wish to share their mobile broadband service can use a wireless router to share their Internet connection. These Wireless Mobile Broadband routers are provided by T-mobile and 3-Mobile.
- Plug in the power cable and switch on the wireless router.
- Insert the SIM card in the USB modem.
- Connect the USB modem to the USB port of the wireless router.
- The wireless router is capable of providing one Ethernet connection and wireless access to multiple devices.
- Start the computer and open the network connections window.
- Choose the mobile broadband device from the list of available wireless networks.
How to setup a phone as modem?
3G mobile broadband service can also accessed using a phone as a modem. There are many phones available in the market which can be used as a 3G modem. Users can purchase or sign up for a SIM only contract and get a 3G SIM card. These SIM cards can be used to access the mobile broadband service by using a 3G mobile phone. All the 3G mobile phones will be provided with a data cable to connect to the computer. This method is called tethering.
- Insert the 3G SIM card in the mobile phone.
- Connect the mobile phone to the computer using a data cable.
- Start the mobile phone and choose the mode as phone modem.
- Install the connection manager software in the computer.
- Once the software is installed, the user can start accessing the Internet.